ARENDAL – A PLACE OF OPPORTUNITIES
GRY KNUTSEN AND LINN SANDNES STARTED ACCESS BEMANNING IN MARCH 2019 AFTER MANY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THE STAFFING INDUSTRY. TODAY, TOGETHER WITH NORA HOLST, THEY RUN THE STAFFING AND RECRUITMENT COMPANY LOCATED AT THE END OF THE PORT OF ARENDAL. THEY HAVE NO DOUBT THAT MORROW BATTERIES WILL CREATE VALUE AND HAVE A RIPPLE EFFECT FOR BOTH ARENDAL AND THE AGDER REGION.
THE BATTERY FACTORY WILL HAVE GREAT IMPORTANCE FOR EVERYONE IN THE REGION
The entrepreneurs agree that large and exciting companies ensure that the expertise remains in the area.
– It will be fantastic to have the battery factory in Arendal. It creates development in our business community and will mean a lot to both private individuals and academia. We can say with certainty that the entire region as a whole will contribute to staffing the jobs that Morrow Batteries creates, says Knutsen. When we have exciting companies and interesting work assignments to offer employees in Agder, we get both relocated “Arendalites” and competent newcomers to settle in our region. Together with Morrow Batteries, we can all ensure that the expertise stays in the area.
Nora, Linn and Gry have, like many, traveled out of the region for education and work experience. All three have chosen to return to Agder. But they find that many choose to or feel compelled to move out of the region to get their first job after graduating.
– Today, it is the case that when you finish your education, you are happy to move to a big city. When we get large establishments such as Morrow Batteries in Agder, we hope that we will also be able to offer more exciting positions for both new and experienced employees, says Sandnes.
She says that these days, there are other companies that take in new graduates, but emphasises that we need some larger companies to take a bigger responsibility for those who are looking for their first job.
-Imagine if we could become a region that also attracts new graduates from other parts of the country who want to settle and build careers in our municipalities. It would be very positive, Holst adds.
RIGHT PEOPLE AT THE RIGHT PLACE- EVERY TIME
Access Bemanning has extensive experience in being the link between the employee and the workplace. They are located in the centre of Arendal and help both large and small companies with staffing and recruitment.
– We are good at finding the right person for the right place – every time. There must be the right delivery and good quality throughout the process, says Knutsen.
– We also work closely with the employees after they have started their job. Good follow-up is something we put great emphasis on.
EDUCATION IS VITAL
Knutsen says that there is not only a demand for competence in technology and engineering, but also in electrical and renewable energy. She adds that there are still many production positions that will change in the future. We are moving towards specialist positions, as well as longer and more innovative educational courses.
– It is also important to add that education is a crucial component in supporting the industry we are now building up here in Agder, says Sandnes. Municipalities, businesses and academia must work closely together to facilitate and offer educational courses that educate young talents and cater to the needs of the industry.
Nora also emphasises that Agder must make arrangements for candidates to obtain a trade certificate and that the industry maintains apprenticeships. These are important factors in building up the production industry.
– You do not need a higher education to get a good job, but you should get educated. There are opportunities to take a certificate in a craft or technical vocational school which takes a slightly shorter time than a college or university education. The industry needs both, she says.
WORKING LIFE IS CHANGING
The founders of Aksess Bemanning predict that working life will change a lot in the coming decades.
– More tasks that are done by us humans today, will be done via automation in the future. We have seen a change from when we first started in the industry. Today there are many positions which have become obsolete. The bright side is that new positions are also emerging as a result of the technological development the world is experiencing, Knutsen smiles.
She emphasises that new and innovative companies are constantly being created. We will probably have to live with changes in working life forever, it’s about being able to develop and adapt.
A CAREER IN SOUTHERN NORWAY
Arendal has many competent employees in areas such as engineering, economics, development and technology. Several industries in the immediate area provide stability for both employers and employees.
– Ethichal and environmental choices in working life are becoming more and more important. Previously, you stayed in a job for many years. That changed in our generation and trends now show that we change workplaces every 5 years on average. When value choices are given more importance when choosing an employer, this can quickly reverse the trend, so that we again stay longer in our jobs, says Holst. There will be many exciting opportunities in the years to come and we think that more people will want a career here in Arendal.
AN EXCITING DESTINATION FOR THE INDUSTRY AND YOUNG TALENTS
The ladies in Aksess Staffing state that identifying the needs of employers offer several opportunities. Personal and professional development will become more important in the future. They also believe that having larger business establishments in the region will make it more exciting to live here.
– This will mean that many will want to move south, and that those who already live here will have more opportunities in the job market. The educational offers that exist today can also be used in Arendal – you do not have to move to the big city to get a job, says Holst. There are many benefits in settling here. There is good infrastructure, short distances between the beautiful southern villages, proximity to the sea and nature and generally a very good quality of life!
The three ladies agree that Agder is an exciting destination for many industries.
ACCESS TO UNIQUE COMPETENCE
Both Arendal and the Agder region can expect major ripple effects related to the establishment of Morrow Batteries. Linn, Gry and Nora also believe that the battery factory itself will experience many benefits from establishing itself in Arendal.
-Despite the changes in the length of employment at a national level, Arendal has loyal employees who stay long in their jobs, Holst says. – Morrow will experience access to unique expertise here in Agder. Choosing Arendal gives access to a forward-looking municipality with a unique collaboration between the public sector, the industry and academia. Here in Arendal, we cheer each other on, Knutsen concludes.